THE CONSTITUTION AND CODE OF ETHICS
The Bullmastiff Club of Victoria Inc, aims for affiliation with, and is bound by the Rules and Regulations and Code of Ethics of the Victorian Canine Association Inc., and accepts the Victorian Canine Association's basic Constitution for Affiliated Clubs. Any additional Domestic Rules shall be subordinate to those of the Victorian Canine Association Inc.
CODE OF ETHICS
The betterment of the Bullmastiff breed and the well-being of the Bullmastiff should be the primary considerations of every member of the Club and are considered to be a condition of membership.
The Club also aims to:
* educate and encourage members, breeders, exhibitors and Judges to abide by the requirements of the Standard as accepted for the breed by the Victorian Canine Association Inc.
* carry on such other activities, to promote and encourage interest in the breeding, upkeep and training of and the general well-being and improvement of Bullmastiffs and to do all such things as may be necessary or conductive to carrying out the objects of the Club.
* ensure that all dogs under their control are properly housed, fed, exercised and will receive proper veterinary attention, if and when required.
* not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the Bullmastiff, nor the results of any tests that may have been performed regarding health or hereditary diseases. Neither shall members falsely advertise or mislead any person regarding the performance of any Bullmastiff.
* not allow their dogs to roam. They shall be kept fully leashed, or under effective control at all times.
* ensure when selling or transferring a Bullmastiff to another person, that documents as required by the Victorian Canine Association Inc., will be provided to the purchaser or transferee where applicable.
* breed for the purpose of improving the breed and when planning Bullmastiff matings, every effort must be made to control, or if possible, eliminate faults, especially if such faults are hereditary.
* except in extenuating circumstances, members will not breed from any bitch kept by them causing it to be mated before it is eighteen months of age. Thereafter, not breed from any bitch kept by them causing it to whelp more than twice in eighteen months. They will not breed any bitch kept by them causing it to whelp more than six times without prior veterinary certification of fitness for further breeding.
* not permit any pure bred dogs to be mated to a dog of a different breed, to a cross-bred, or to an unregistered dog of the same breed.
* ensure that all breeding stock are hip x-rayed and scored before mating takes place. It is preferred that Bullmastiffs are hip xrayed from eighteen months of age, depending on when they are breeding. A copy of the hip xrays results should be made available to the alternate party when matings are being planned and a courtesy copy of the hip xray result should be forwarded to the Club for addition onto the Data Registry. Whilst there is no set limit of hip score given for breeding, Members are encouraged to use hip score information wisely for the protection and benefit of the Bullmastiff as well as the future.
* endeavour to seek the advice of the more experienced Members before breeding any Bullmastiff who has received a high hip score or grade. The Club will have current hip score information available for Members.
* give careful consideration when breeding or showing Bullmastiffs that exhibit undue or unprovoked aggression towards humans or other dogs.
* give careful consideration to other genetic disorders eg. OCD and entropian, when making a decision as to whether to breed their Bullmastiff and choosing breeding stock.
* ensure that all persons acquiring Bullmastiffs from them clearly understand their responsibility for the care and welfare of the animal and that they have the time and facilities (i.e. adequate fences, sufficient room and proper shelter, etc) to perform their obligations.
* not allow puppies to be removed from their environment before they are eight weeks of age and puppies shall have been vaccinated and wormed prior to departure.
* provide to all purchasers of their Bullmastiffs, written details of all dietary and immunisation requirements and/or an appropriate publication relating to such requirements and responsible dog ownership.
* not sell any Bullmastiff, Bullmastiff litter or part thereof, to dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers, the commercial export market or any other commercial outlet nor directly or indirectly allow any dog to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any kind.
* endeavour to follow the development of any pup they sell.
* be encouraged to join new puppy buyers into the membership of the Bullmastiff Club of Victoria Inc.
* in the event of an owner being unable to continue to keep the Bullmastiff, breeders shall endeavour to help in the rehousing of that dog.
All breeders and owners of Bullmastiffs will act in a responsible manner and endeavour to help and advise the new owner upon the well being of the Bullmastiff.